GMC‎ > ‎Patients ABROAD‎ > ‎Allergology, immunology‎ > ‎

Chemical, detergent allergy

We are increasingly exposed to chemicals, what are present in the inhaled air, in our foods, drinks, workplaces and homes as well.

Most of the surrounding chemicals are fortunately harmless. Hypersensitivity can develop, if the immune system is heavily exposed to chemicals or they are presenting a high concentration. Vehicle exhaust gas and cigarette smoke damages the airways or enter into reaction with the chemicals, thus increasing the chance of hypersensitivity.

There is no other defence, but to avoid those chemicals, however, it is almost impossible due to their high prevalence.

The allergic contact dermatitis ACD) is the pathologic reaction of the skin, triggered by direct contact with a substance. Allergens can be everyday chemicals as well. Epoxy-resins, formaldehydes – components of plastics and dyes; black rubber, latex, nickel and cobalt may often trigger this type of allergy. Food preservatives and cosmetic fragrances may also be allergens. Allergens may occur among the carrying agents of antibiotics or other drugs.

Site of the skin reaction refers to the allergens. Irritation on the eyelashes refers to cosmetic products, on the hands to rubber products, epoxy-resins, preservatives. 
Allergic disorders on the face may often be caused by cosmetics, UV-radiation, lanolin, hair dye. Nickel or cosmetics may cause irritations on the neck, nickel and rubber on the body. Armpit irritations are generally caused by fragrances, surfactants, formaldehydes. Neomycin and epoxy-resin are the most common causes of allergic contact dermatitis on the legs.

Contact dermatitis

Identifying and then avoiding are the best therapies for contact dermatitis. Patch testing (skin reaction to suspect allergen) can identify this allergy.

When the cause hasn’t been identified, the irritations can only be treated symptomatically: lotions, creams to remedy the dry skin, antihistamines to relive itching. Locally administered corticosteroids and orally taken steroids may relive severe symptoms. Severe allergic reactions are to be treated with phototherapy or with other anti-inflammatory therapy.