Spas & beaches

Dagály Bath (Dagály Fürdő)

The bath was opened in 1948, at the northern side of the Árpád bridge, on the Danube bank. The bath’s official name was Szabadság (Liberty) Bath for a long time. Its actual official name has been commonly used for ages, owing to the nearby Dagály street. Its water source at that time was provided by a well bored in 1944. This well supplied 41,5°C water from 126 m depth; in 1993 the same well had an output of 6200 l/minute In 1970, the water of the Széchenyi Thermal Bath was directed to Dagály Bath, thus raising it to the status of a thermal bath. The water is rich in calcium, magnesium, hydrogen-carbonate also containing sulphate-chloride and sodium. Therapeutic suggestions: joint diseases, arthritis, musculoskeletal diseases.




Dandár Bath (Dandár Fürdő)

Budapest decided to establish public (sanitary) baths in 1928, to ensure hygienic bathing at a low price. Within the frame of this project the Dandár was the first one. Thermal water for the bath was supplied with tankers from the well of the Széchenyi Bath. In 1978 the bath was reconstructed. From that time its water is supplied from a new well, in the nearby Közraktár street. The water quality of the Dandár Bath is nearly equivalent to that of the Gellért Thermal Bath.


Gellért Thermal Bath and Swimming pool (Gellért Gyógyfürdő és Uszoda)

As early as in the 13th century, King András II established a hospital and bath. These springs were later favoured by the Turks as well. In the 17th century, it was called Sárosfürdő (Mud bath) because of the fine spring silt that was pushed up together with the spring water and settled at the bottom of the pools. 
The Gellért Thermal Bath and Hotel was built in a secession style in 1912-1918, at the site of the 47°C thermal springs of the Mud bath. The hot spring water contains sodium, calcium, magnesium, hydrogen-carbonate, sulphate-chloride, and is rich in fluoride ions as well. Therapeutic suggestions: degenerative joint diseases, spinal deformity, arthritis, discus hernia, vasoconstriction, circulatory disturbances, chronic diseases of respiratory organs.


Király Bath (Király Fürdő)

Arslan, the Pasha of Buda begun the construction of this bath in 1565 and was completed under the rule of his successor, Sokoli Mustafa. The Turks built the bath far from the springs to ensure the opportunity for bathing within the walls of the castle, even in an eventual siege. Its water was supplied at that time, and is being supplied now, from the wells in the area of the current Lukács Bath. Originally water supply was carried out in larch canals by gravitational means. Actually closed pipes are providing the water supply of the bath. In 1796 the König (in Hungarian Király) family acquired the bath. The name of the bath is stemming from the name of the family.


Lukács Thermal Bath and Swimming Pool (Lukács Gyógyfürdő)

As early, as in the Roman period the hot springs of this site were known and exploited. Inscription from the period of Caesar Claudius mentions the “upper and lower hot water springs” (aqua calidae superiores et inferiores).In the 9th- 10th century there was a settlement on the territory of the present Császár and Lukács baths, called “Felhévíz”. The “hévíz” part of this name means in Hungarian thermal water. According to historical sources, in the 12th century Knights Hospitallers, providing care for poor, sick and injured, settled in this area. First, in 1178 the Knights of the Order of Saint John, later the Orders of Rhodes and Malta built here monasteries, baths, and hospitals. According to written evidences, there was already a Malom (Mill) lake on this territory in the medieval ages. There are two memorial benches in the sycamore garden of the bath. Both were donated by the descendants of the regular visitors of the bath (György Schiller and Júlia Lux were the former visitors. Actually a concrete pathway is leading to the main entrance of the bath through the garden. A more aesthetical solution is planned during the reconstruction. The bath is supplied with water from the 30 m deep lake of the 6 km long Molnár János cave .János Molnár physician, chemist reported first about the existence of the cave in 1858, in a medical weekly paper. The lake cave nourishing the Lukács Thermal Bath was first explored in 1937 by Ferenc Papp speleologist; from the sixties divers are continuing the explorations.


Rudas Thermal Bath (Rudas Fürdő)

The centerpiece of the bath today, the Turkish bath, was built during the Turkish occupation The bath is located at the Erzsébet Bridge’s Buda side. The artistically constructed and decorated bath was built directly over the springs, due to religious reasons. According to the Islam, only running water is suitable for body hygiene. Still water is not suitable for this purpose, so they could flush the body before bathing. We inherited the Rudas (its original Turkish name: bath with green column) from that period. Its water is radio-active hot spring water with calcium-magnesium-hydrogen-carbonate, sodium and sulphate containing significant amount of fluoride ions. Therapeutic suggestions: degenerative joint diseases, arthritis, discus hernia, neuralgia, calcium deficiency.




Széchenyi Thermal Bath( Széchenyi Fürdő)

The Széchenyi Thermal Bath is the largest spa complex of Budapest and Europe. It was built in 1913 after the plan of Győző Czigler. The bath receives its thermal water from the St. Stephen II. well, bored 1938.Its cold water supply is performed by 6 other, smaller wells. There are 3 outdoor and 15 indoor pools in the complex. Wide range of therapies and a daytime outpatient hospital are available in the complex. The first artesian well of the bath was bored in 1868-1878; its 74,5°C water is erupting from 970 m depth. The second artesian well was bored in 1936; it is the hottest thermal spring of Europe – 77°C water is erupting from 1240 m depth.


from spasbudapest.com