Cultural programs

Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Állami Operaház)

The Hungarian State Opera House is Hungary’s only theatre with a large theatre company specialized expressly for opera and ballet performances.
Designed by Miklós Ybl, the neo-renaissance building is one of Budapest’s most important 19th century monuments.
Interior ornamentation includes paintings and sculptures by leading figures of Hungarian art of the time: Mór Than, Károly Lotz, Bertalan Székely.
The Hungarian Royal Opera House was opened amid great pomp and ceremony on the 27th September, 1884 in the presence of Ferenc József I. The opening program, conducted by Ferenc Erkel, was the overture to the opera László Hunyadi, the first act of the opera Bánk Bán and the first act of Lohengrin. The theatre company came to an artistic crisis very soon, since neither in headcount, nor in artistic level could cope with the demands. Financial problems emerged in addition to the artistic crisis. Gustav Mahler, the composer was the director from 1887 to 1891. During this period the situation changed, it was the opera’s first golden age. The World War I. throws the development of the theatre back; the Opera House was even closed for a year. Thanks to the directors Miklós Radnai and László Márkus there was a period of prosperity between the two world wars. The Opera House survived the World War II. with minor damages, therefore it could reopen in March 1945.Hungarian State Opera House is the official name of the institution since 1945.In 1951 due to the increased public demand, the City Theatre (Városi Színház), from 1953 called Erkel Theatre (Erkel Színház ) became secondary building of the Hungarian State Opera. The Opera houses the Hungarian National Ballet as well.


Pesti Broadway (Broadway of Pest)

The Nagymező utca connects the Klauzál tér with the Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út, and crosses the Adrássy út in the 6th district of Budapest. The name of the street refers to a big field in the 18th century. „Feld Gasse” was the street’s name in the 18th century, then „Grosse Feld Gasse” in the 19th century. The Hungarian name „Nagymező” is the mirror translation of the original German one. Due to the high number of theatres in this area, it is nicknamed „Broadway of Pest”. The Radnóti Miklós Theatre, the Mikroszkóp Theatre, the Thalia Theatre, the Tivoli Theatre, and the Budapest Operetta Theatre are all in this area. In addition to the theatres, there are many attractions in this area: the Mai Manó Gallery in the Hungarian House of Photography, the Ernst Museum, and the popular Moulin Rouge night club, the Béla Bartók Secondary School of Music, the Terézváros telephone exchange building (former Mercure Palace), the Terézváros Roman Catholic parish church as well. There are other monuments worth to see in this street: a three storey romantic style house built by 1860, under no.6; a three storey romantic style corner house, with classicistic corridor grids, under no. 12; a three storey classicistic corner house from 1830, under no. 14. Its façade is decorated with median risalit and its inner yard with classicistic grids.



Franz Liszt Academy of Music (Zeneakadémia)

The Franz Liszt Academy of Music is a music university and one of the most significant Hungarian concert sites. Its present building is one of the most renowned monuments in the 6th district of Budapest. The Royal Academy of Music was founded in 1875 in Liszt’s apartment. In 1879 an independent building was erected for the Academy, in the crossing of Andrássy út-Vörösmarty utca. Because of the increasing number of teachers and students the Academy moved into its present building, in 1907, under the directorship of Ödön Mihalovich. The Budapest Academy of Music with excellent concert halls became important centre of the Hungarian and European music. When moving, the old building was sold; it was bought back and occupied again only in the 1980s.The Old Academy is home to the Liszt Ferenc Society, the Hungarian Kodály Society and Liszt Ferenc Memorial Museum and Research Centre. The present building of the Academy is on the Liszt Ferenc tér. It is a masterpiece of art nouveau architure. Designed by the architects Flóris Korb and Kálmán Giergl, the construction started in 1904.Both structure and workmanship are of excellent value. The Great Hall of the Academy is an outstanding artwork of the early armoured concrete architecture. Unique masterpieces of great value among others: stained glass and glass mosaic works of Miksa Róth, antic-style carved wooden friezes and reliefs of Ede Telcs, friezes of Károly Senyei, István Gróh, murals of Aladár Körösfői Kriesch, and eosin tiles of Zsolnay Manufacture are decorating the Academy. The main entrance is ornated with the monumental Liszt statue of Alajos Stróbl.

Theatres

National Theatre (Nemzeti Színház)

Opened originally in 1837, under the name of Pesti Magyar Theatre, its theatre company was housed in different locations; in the Blaha Lujza square (1908-1964) and then in the building of the Magyar Theatre at the Hevesi Sándor square (1966–2000). Its present building opened on the 15th March, nearly one century after the demolishing of its first premises.




Pesti Magyar Theatre (Pesti Magyar Színház)

Opened in 1837, changed its name to National Theatre (Nemzeti Színház) in 1840. The theatre regained its old name in 2000, with the building of the new National Theatre.












Katona József Theatre (Katona József Színház )

The company of the Katona József Theatre started in 1982.Within short time became a prominent artistic theatre of Budapest They have a sophisticated, internationally recognised repertoire. The theatre company has toured in 40 countries of 5 continents. 





Budapest Operetta and Musical Theatre (Budapesti Operettszínház)

The building housed an Orpheum, till the beginning of the First World War. The „entertainment palace” closed during the war, the golden age of the Orpheum ended. Budapest city decided to give an own home to the operetta in 1923.After opening the Operetta Theatre, the „silver age operetta” begun in Budapest as well. Primary goal has always been the preservations of classic operetta traditions and enriching them with up-to date artistic solutions. Budapest -together with Vienna, is the capital of operetta. Spectators can see for themselves the high level of operetta performances.


Radnóti Miklós Theatre (Radnóti Miklós Színház)

The theatre company started on the 4th October, 1976 in a renovated building, equipped with up to date stagecraft, under the direction of Emil Keres. The first performance focused on the name giver, Miklós Radnóti Hungarian poet. The artists regularly held performances outside of the theatre, in the suburbs of Budapest and in other settlements of the country, and organised unconventional literature lessons in elementary and secondary schools. Once a month they held a literary evening with a contemporary writer in the Angelika café. András Bálint became director of the theatre in 1985. From the beginning of the 1980s the theatre tends to perform more and more one act plays mainly from Hungarian authors. The theatre’s profile has changed. Nowadays more plays than poetry readings, literary evenings are in the theatre’s program.



other theathers...

Palace of Arts (Művészetek Palotája)

The Palace of Arts (nicknamed Műpa) is Budapest’s latest multifunctional cultural establishment with 21st century technological infrastructure. The versatility of the building makes it suited to house music, visual arts and theatre performances of the highest level. Exhibition halls, concert hall and theatre of the cultural complex are independent from each other, they can separately establish the programs.
from wikipedia